Wednesday, January 22, 2014

If You're Happy in your Major, You'll be Successful in it

The transition from high school to college is one of the hardest you'll ever have to make. All of a sudden you are living on your own, in a new city, with barely anyone that you know. And that's not even the worst part.

My freshman year of college was a struggle. In high school, I knew everyone and I never struggled academically. But after being in a university, you realize that you're not one of the smart ones, or the popular ones, or the pretty ones. You are just.... Normal.

And let me tell you, I hate being normal.

Ever since I was young, I always believed you went to college so you could get a high paying job. So with that mentality, I knew that I either had to major in accounting, or something in medicine.

Since academics came so easily to me in high school, I convinced myself that taking chemistry, biology, and a business course in one semester would be a breeze.

Well, I learned quickly that college is not high school.

You have to study, and do a lot of work out side of class. You are lucky if your teachers know your name. I was miserable.

Apparently "sophomore blues" is a common thing in college. And I sure had them. I was enrolled in all business classes for my sophomore fall semester, and after taking only a week of accounting, economics, statistics, international studies, and marketing, I knew I wasn't happy.

Seriously.... Why did I think I could be an accountant....

After coming home for a weekend after a very unhappy week of school, my mother reminded me that no one was forcing me into one of these "money-making" majors.

I knew I couldn't take a semester of business courses, so I ended up taking a semester off and applying to a different school with a different major.

Yes, college is so students can get better jobs after they graduate, but if at any point you are unhappy or too stressed in what you're doing, it's okay to take a step back and reevaluate.

Even after all the classes I have taken, all the intelligent people I have meet, and all the opportunities I have been given, the most important thing I have learned thus far in college is this...

Do what makes you happy and what you are good at. Because if you're good at it, you will be successful at it.

And it doesn't hurt when your parents have your back.

3 comments:

  1. Ms. Sullivan,

    Do you mind if I show this article (or blog) to my seniors. I always try to give me students advice towards college and you make some excellent points and observations in the article.

    Mr. Giere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I hope it helps, picking a school can be stressful!

      Delete
  2. I think most high school seniors feel the pressure of picking the right school and right major. Hopefully your experience shows its okay to take a little bit of time to figure out what they want to do.

    ReplyDelete